Sunday, April 3, 2016

1 1/2 days in Trinidad

What an unusual week this was. So Tuesday I flew into Trinidad with Zuster Parker. I really love Trinidad, I kind of didn't want to go back to Suriname, but I also really do love Surinam, I feel like both countries are so different from each other.


On our way to Trinidad



In Trinidad I was in companionship with Zuster Summer and Zuster Roubidoux, they are cool missionaries, I´m so grateful that I was able to serve with them for 1 1/2 days.

We were teaching a 8 year old girl who is about to get baptized. Her name is Princess, she´s hilarious, we asked her what the Book of Mormon is and the she said; "It´s the word of God" We then asked: "Princess, why do you want to get baptized?" Princess answered:"Because I love God!"

Its just so simple, this little girl already has a testimony! It was so nice teaching her and just realizing that we need to become more like children. Too often I see many people going the wrong path and they start making their lives complicated. But when we love God and follow our Savior´s example our life will just be so much easier.

I also met an awesome young woman in Trinidad. Her name is Rebekah, she´s my age and has been investigated the church for 2 weeks. When I met her she was baptized 2 weeks ago and she´s now doing her mission papers. She´s also a vegan which isn´t important but it was cool finally meeting someone who doesn´t eat meat. Rebekah is awesome, she´s so sweet and she´s already an amazing missionary, she goes out with the sisters almost every day after work. What a great example she is to me!

So I know everyone is wondering if I have eaten meet on my mission. And the sad truth is...yes I have, but only twice. The first time I ate it I felt bad for the member. But I got really bad stomachache after I ate it. After that...I refuse to eat meat again, I try to avoid it at all cost. In Trinidad a less active member made us some food which looked pretty sketchy, so I only ate the rice, however Sister Sommer and Sister Roubidoux had all of it.

Me eating only rice


Contacting in Trinidad is different than in Surinam. The missionaries here have to yell: "Hello, good day inside". Which is so weird, then it was my turn to do it said Sister Roubidoux, when I did my voice cracked and it just sounded super creepy. At the end of contacting we were so thirsty but none of the sisters knew the area too well. I then saw a woman walking, I tried to get her attention but she must not have heard me. Normally I would have just left it as she was further away. But somehow I ran after her, as I catched up with her I asked if she knows any stores in this area. She did not look happy in fact she looked really sad. Normally I would have just thanked her and left...but something kept me there and encouraged me to keep talking to her. As she was done explaining where the nearest shop is, I said: "Thank you, I have another question for you. Do you know that God exists and He loves you?" She then started to smile and said: "Yes I believe in God". Her daughter has recently passed away. We assured her that she will see her daughter again and that they can be a family again. The other sisters took her info, we hugged and left. I wish I could stay in Trinidad to see her faith grow.

Everything is going really well. I´m excited to be back in Surinam and I am so motivated to do work! I also really love my companion Zuster Jorgenson, she´s so cool and I have learnt a lot from her!

 While visiting with Reynold, we saw this guy running, Sister Summer asked him how his run was, we contacted him and he already knew that we are missionaries because he´s been to America a lot and he´s training for the Olympics. I wrote down his name but I cant find it at the moment.


This is Reynold, an awesome member

My Trinidad companions

a view on Trinidad

Rebekah & Reynold



It felt great not having to bike for 2 days,on the Motorway you´ll see people selling food, car equipment, stuffed animals, balloon and everything else.

Enjoying my ride as long as possible ,)

 Some yummy food...called Dubbles..really yummy

Sister Roubidoux killed a cockroach on her arm
Sister Summer is holding a turtle in it´s cage

Enjoying Dubbles





No comments:

Post a Comment