Sunday, April 3, 2016

Church historian, the rescue, big "mosquito", the Sannas kids

Our P-day was changed in to Tuesday due to Easter, this week Elder Richard E. Turley came to Surinam. He is a church historian. We had an hour and a half with him. And he told u so many cool facts about the church but mostly about Joseph Smith, it was very spiritual and so cool. Wish I could share something but I do not have my notes with me right now.




Assistant Church Historian and Recorder Richard E. Turley Jr of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints displays historical documents during a press conference announcing the release of the latest volume in the church's ongoing Joseph Smith Papers project in Salt Lake City, Wednesday, Sept. 4, 2013. This document is the earliest letter completely handwritten by Joseph Smith. It is dated March 8, 1831, and was written to Joseph's brother Hyrum Smith.
Elder Richard E. Turley



The Rescue...my companion and I are basically trying to get all less active members back to church. We´ve been "hunting" so many down but there´s a lot more in Kwatta. I am so excited for this though because so far we have met some very cool less actives and most of them just know they need to come back to church. For example Patricia, actually lives in French Guyana due to her work she comes back every month to Surinam for a few days. She´s had it very rough these last couple of months, but she has been reading her Book of Mormon every day and prays. Her testimony is strong but something is keeping her away from church and honestly I've got no idea what it could be, she loves the church and still does. She has mentioned that her sister does not approve of her being a member. So that could be the reason for her not to attend church anymore as she´s living in French Guyana with her sister. As I was bearing my testimony about the church...she started to cry. She told us how much she misses going  to church and to partake of the Sacrament. She then bore her testimony about the Sacrament. Too often I forget how special the Sacrament really is! I was very grateful to be reminded by her this week, I know that by partaking of the Sacrament that we really do have the Spirit within us. I am so grateful for the Savior and for giving me the chance to become better.

sacrament tray


Lately we´ve been having a lot of new investigators. And I want to talk about Rogan, Big Mosquito and the Sannas.

Rogan is an older woman, she came to the  Paramaribo Ward and demanded to have DVD´s about Jesus Christ. Apparently there were elders that promised her a few months ago that they will stop by and give her some DVD´s but she still haven´t received any. We asked her which missionaries told her that, she said:"I dont know...they´re all white and look the same".)

We found out that Rogan is in our area, we went by and gave her the DVD´s, she was super excited and we got a return appointment, unfortunately when we came again she told us that her brother got shot, so she has to go to the hospital right now. After we said our goodbye´s , my companion and I were talking to a member we took with us, Rogan than comes back out and says:"I have got my fake teeth in today" She then takes them out...it was random but really funny ;)

Zuster Jorgenson, my awesome companion

Big Mosquito and Josephina, she´s a referral that we´ve received from the elders. We finally had the chance to go by her, her husband then comes outside, shakes our hands and says:"Don´t be scared of my name...I am big mosquito" My companion was so confused, I just started laughing, it was so funny mainly because you did not expect it. Anyways his last name is Mochete which sounds a lot like Mosquito. He told us some really funny stories which I wish I could write but it would take way too long. They are both in their 70s, they are definitely being prepared. I love them, they are just so much fun.


And now the Sannas...I´m pretty sure I have talked about them before, I love those kids, they are the best. 3 children, 2 boys and 1 girl...they come to church every Sunday by themselves. Two are baptized, however their parents never had any lessons with the missionaries so far. We were able to have our first lesson with the entire family. What I loved most was to see those children faces! They were so happy to see their parents reading the Book of Mormon and to finally just have a family home evening lesson together!The Spirit was so strong! And I know they felt that!! I just know that if they keep reading the Book of Mormon and live the gospel, that it will strengthen their family in so many ways! I might have shed some tears whilst bearing my testimony at the end of the lesson. I am so grateful for being able to grow up in the gospel with my family!




I love you all so much! Thank you for everything!


No comments:

Post a Comment